First off...I never promised to blog all the time! I am a random blogger.
Harry- I've heard about him for months, but finally met him this week and gained some perspective. He's 90 this month and needs assistance with keeping up with life and his home. He's still madly in love with each of his wives (the first he lost to illness a long time ago and the second died a decade or so ago) and misses them. I've gotten involved in his care and he is unbelievably grateful. He's such a sweet man and one of the things he always says is, "it all comes back to you...I used to do what you're doing for me. I used to visit sick people and help people and now you can do it. You don't know now how much this means, but someday you'll be like me and then you'll understand how this feels."
This is wonderful perspective and reminds me of my mom taking on full care of Ada Ostrander years ago. She (I believe) got power of attorney and had to help her get into a home and clean out her apartment. She helped her deal with it emotionally and go through years of belongings. She was her friend and caretaker and holds very dear memories of Ada from all those years ago. My mom was such a good example to me...and I had no idea back then what her service would mean to ME now. She didn't do it for me...but I benefitted too. So today I took Boy and Girl with me to take Harry his groceries...maybe they will remember it, maybe not, but it is a pattern that will start now so that they will gain a testimony of service to help them through life.
12 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment