Potty training Boy...he's 3 already so it is well overdue. (We've tried since he was just over 2 every few months to gauge his readiness.) So, I am not going to buy any more diapers. I'm biting the bullet and training him. He refuses to participate in the "tons-of practice-load-'em-up on liquids" successful method I used on Girl. So, instead I have borrowed a steam cleaner from a wonderful and giving friend and he is running around the house in his superman/diego/transformer/dinosaur underwear peeing on every hard surface below him. Luckily, he seems to dislike peeing on the carpet and couch! :) So, it is not even lunchtime and he has had 6 accidents.
He is so proud each time he goes on the floor. Here's the thing: I'm proud he notices!!!! We tried two months ago and he kept peeing on himself and his toys (I only allowed the hard, washable ones) and he DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE!?! So, hooray...he notices now! I do give him one mini kisses candy for washing his hands and sitting on the potty while I clean up the mess. There is something positive going on and there is a minor improvement...I'll take what I can get! As for Girl...I used the "Potty training in a day or less" book (I did this with a little girl I nannied too) and had complete success with both. Each were done within a few days and just needed some reminders and wiping help for maybe two months? Yes, boys are different in many ways beyond anatomy! I have hope though...thanks to a generous friends and a little steamy elbow grease, we'll make it through without a smelly home!
How have you survived potty training?
12 years ago



3 comments:
Oh, dear one! We are potty training in our house too. Lilo decided completely out of the blue that he wanted to do it just a few days ago. We had great success the first day and since then we too have had many accidents. I want to know more about this potty training in one day thing. You're right it is different with a boy than a girl, but my older two were practically 4 by the time they were done, so they understood more with a sticker chart and rewards. That's what worked for them. Lilo is clueless about stickers and counting. Maybe I should try chocolate with him?
At least we are not alone...
I had always heard that boys were harder to potty train than girls! Not so in my family! My oldest boy potty trained himself by age 2, the younger boy by 3 and my girl...well, lets just say she will be 5 in January and we still have enough accidents to frustrate me! So, I guess I am saying, Good Luck!
I feel your pain!!! I love that he is proud when he goes on the floor. I'm sorry I can't help you with the boy thing. You're more dedicated than I was though. Usually after the first or second accident, I decided that I wasn't ready for all the cleanup so I quit. Terrible, I know. But you can do it!! Good luck!
Post a Comment